Consultant: Self Employed
February 2023 -
Senior Conservator: Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
January 1998 – January 2023 (25 Years) Kew, London
In charge of Kew's Conservation Unit, comprising of two conservation studios which contain a variety of project staff. Maintaining an overview on all Kew's Heritage collections, including Library, Art and Archives material, the historic aspects of Kew's Herbarium collection, Kew's Objet d'Art collection which ranges from historic statuary to furniture, as well as advising, when required, on the conservation and upkeep of Kew's 40+ grade-listed buildings.
Most recent large project was the management of the successful conservation and restoration of Kew's grade 2* listed Marianne North Gallery, together with its 865 paintings. This three million pound project was extremely successful as it was first Heritage Lottery Fund project to be accomplished both on-time and under-budget. The project required the design and construction of a new art conservation studio, recruiting and managing six conservators as well as managing all of the art aspects of the building restoration from the conservation of the decorative cove and upper gallery walls to the reinstatement of the tiled floor. Organising and externally contracting the conservation of Marianne North's wood collection, the artwork, maraflaged to the gallery's door panels, the gilded door surrounds and the bust of the artist.
Senior Conservator:Brynmor Jones Library, University of Hull
March 1995 – December 1997 (2 years 10 months) Hull, United Kingdom
Designed and operated the Library Conservation Unit and managed the library restoration and rebinding.
Projects included the conservation of a collection of letters between Emperor Napoleon and Admiral Hotham, and the conservation of 'Yellow Back' bindings
Hampshire Archives Trust Conservator: Hampshire Record Office
February 1994 – February 1996 (2 years 1 month)Winchester, Hampshire
Providing conservation services for business and personal archives not held within Hampshire Record Office.
- The Charters of Winchester Cathedral.
- The Archive collection of the Royal Lymington Yacht Club.
- The manuscript of Version B of the Anthem For the Foundling Hospital by G F Handel (Owned by the Thomas Coram Foundation).
Self Employed Conservator: Short Term Contracts
1993 - February 1994 (14 Months)
Gaining experience in a variety of conservation areas through short term contracts:
- National Maritime Museum, Greenwich: Survey Work, 19th Century Oil-Based Tracings, Globe Conservation
- Public Record Office, Lincoln's Inn & Kew: Furbishing, 19th Century Oil-Based Tracings, Parchment, Maps
- Ordsall Hall Museum, Salford: Survey Work, Pest Management, Conservation of Wood
- Peel Park Museum, Salford: Survey Work, Pest Management, Art on Paper (Lowry Collection), Conservation of Plastics
Self Employed Bookbinder and Restorer: Trading as J S Farley Bookbinding
1986 – 1993 (7 years) Belvedere, Kent
Following bookbinding training and during conservation training, running own bindery, offering Bookbinding and Restoration services.
- London Fire and Civil Defence Authority
- Greater London Council
- Bexley Library and Museums Service.
- Bromley Library Service.
- Kleinwort Benson Ltd.
- David Warren Printing Consultants
- Chase Manhatten
- Midland Bank PLC
- Taylor Woodrow
- Welcome Pharmaceutical Ltd
- Kent Printers Ltd.
Camberwell College of Arts
Master of Arts (M.A.) & BTECH HND, Conservation 1988 – 1993
Final HND project was the conservation of architectural plans by George Fellowes Prynne
Final project for Master of Arts, was the study the conservation of packaging materials (the first MA student to study this area).